APPLICATION FOR 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR
We are still accepting applications for the 2023-2024 school year!
*Certain grade levels are now at full capacity for the 2023-2024 school year and are subject to a waiting list. Please call the school phone number to inquire about which grades are full at this time. *
To apply for the 2023-2024 school year, please see the information below:
Application process for new families
1.To apply, you will need to create an online account and complete the online application. Please select the school year you wish to apply for in the drop-down menu (2023-2024). There is a non-refundable application fee upon submission. Additionally, the following documents for grades 1-8 will be required and requested by SMSS:
- School Records Release Form, completed and faxed to 757-723-6544, or sent by email to email@example.com
- Current school year report card
- Standardized testing completed in the previous two academic years
- Any learning disability or special education evaluations from the diagnosing professional for academic accommodations review/determination of support resource availability.
- Behavior/School infractions report
- Recommendation from current teacher/school principal (as the admissions team determines appropriate)
- Birth Certificate
- Catholic parents only: parents provide a copy of baptismal certificate for their child
2. All new students will be required to complete a reading and math skills assessment once an application has been submitted/ processed, and an assessment date will be scheduled.
3. Consideration for acceptance includes:
- Space availability is reviewed after current students re-enroll
- New students whose families currently have siblings enrolled in the school
- Catholic families
- Children of non-Catholic families
- Entrance assessment results, academic, attendance, and behavior records have been reviewed by the admissions team.
Admissions Policies and Information
St. Mary Star of the Sea School upholds a nondiscriminatory policy and admits qualified students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to our students. The school endeavors to accommodate students with special needs, as the school's resources and capabilities reasonably permit. The school reserves the right to decline admission of students whose needs cannot be met or impose unreasonable conditions of attendance that were indicated under the circumstances. Any student's first year of attendance at SMSS is considered probationary.
In seeking admission for their child(ren) at SMSS, parents do so with the understanding that financial obligations will be reviewed as part of the admissions process and that parents are responsible for their payment of tuition and fees if they desire their child(ren) to remain at the school. Failure to meet financial obligations and responsibilities could result in a denial of admission to the school.
Admission of Non-Catholics Informed Consent Clause:
Our school serves a variety of purposes, including the academic, social, and physical development of our students. However, the primary purpose of our school is religion. We exist for the purpose of evangelization and catechesis: that is, the proclamation of the Gospel and the formation of our entire school community in the Catholic faith. Our school offers a complete Catholic religious education program and makes every effort to develop faith in all students so that they may live a full Christian life. Non-Catholics may be admitted to our school with the informed understanding and acceptance that parents/guardians agree through a signed application/registration form are permitting their child(ren) to attend religious classes, religious functions, and recognize that religious expectations/teachings are offered as part of the school program.
If space is not available, a student may be placed on a waiting list. The waiting list exists for the current year only and reapplication is required each year if a student remains on a waiting list beyond the current school year. If space becomes available after the registration/enrollment process closes, wait- listed students may be notified accordingly.
When and if an offer of acceptance is given, a $150 enrollment fee will be due to submit the enrollment packet and secure admission. This fee is non-refundable. More information regarding the new school year will be given at that time.